12/06/2006

Puerto Rican Christmas

So, one thing I'm really looking forward to when I go back home is celebrating Christmas. I'm really looking forward to going on parrandas, which is the Puerto Rican version of Christmas Caroling. In a parranda, we go out at night with our instruments and play at different People's houses. Then they invite us inside and serve us food, while we continue playing songs and having a great time. After an hour or 2, we go to a different house, with the people from the previous house coming along. This usually goes well into the night.
I'm also very excited about El Día de los Reyes (Three Kings Day). Originally, this was the day where all the kids got their presents, but with U.S. influence over the island, we've also get presents on Christmas Day. Anyway, according to tradition, on the night of January 5, we put grass by our bed for the Kings' Camels to eat, and in the morning, we check under our beds to find presents underneath. Afterwards, we have a big party with friends and family, where we play songs and eat traditional food and more or less have a great time. This is a very exciting time for kids, and in my opinion, a lot more fun that Christmas Day.
One thing I'm really looking forward to when I go home is eating Puerto Rican food. I can't wait to eat Arroz con Gandules, Lechon Asao, Chicharrones, and of course, the desserts: Tembleque, Arroz con Dulce, Flan, Dulce de Coco, etc.
For more information on a Puerto Rican Christmas, click here. For more info on El Día de los Reyes, click here.

No comments: