1/11/2009

Windows 7: the Good and the Bad

Well, like any computer nerd, I like beta testing. Well, since the new Windows 7 Beta came out recently, I decided to give it a spin. However, I didn't want to just install a new system (at least, not without knowing that it wouldn't completely destroy my computer). So, to circumvent this, I decided to install it inside a virtual machine (a virtual "computer" within an operating system).

The Good: I like a lot of the new features. The new taskbar is pretty cool, and I like the fact that we can make slideshow backgrounds (something which Mac has been able to do for a while). I also like that it seems a lot easier to mess with different settings to change, for example, UAC settings, backgrounds, and other random things that need changing. In addition, Microsoft made it easy to start off by placing a "Getting Started" link on the start menu, which gives you access to some of the more common features. It is also very easy to set up Gadgets, and there is no sidebar (I didn't like the sidebar).

The Bad: Not counting the limitations brought on by it being installed in a Virual Machine (which is more of Virtual Box's fault that Windows 7), there were a few things which could be inproved. First of all, the area at the right of the taskbar (who's name currently eludes me) hasn't changed at all. It seems akward that the icons on the taskbar are all bigger except for these. I think Microsoft should give a choice as to how people want these to look. Also, I was hoping Microsoft would add some virtual desktop support, since that has become standard in every other operating system I've used and/or seen.

The Meh: Paint and Wordpad now use the Ribbon setup made infamous by Microsoft Office 2007. It's something to get used to, I guess. Since I don't really use Paint or Wordpad (I use Paint.net and Notepad++ instead), it doesn't really affect me. It's just something I thoght people should know (if they still didn't).

My plan for the near future is to actually install it on my computer, not just the virtual machine, to get the most out of Windows 7. However, from first impressions, I have to say it is pretty good.

The Golden Phoenix

No comments: